Did You Know...?
Our Lady of Mercy spends about 7% of its budget on administration and fundraising. ALL of these costs are covered by an endowment donated by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy, the founders of the organization. That means that 100% of your gift goes to aid those in need.
- Our Lady of Mercy has about 250 volunteers and 500 financial supporters.
- Each year Our Lady of Mercy benefits from over $1 million worth of donated professional services from area dentists and medical personnel.
- For those considering a major gift, Our Lady of Mercy has several naming opportunities available, ranging in size from $150,000 to $1 million.
- Our Lady of Mercy Wellness Center’s women’s health and prenatal services wing is named in memory of Countess Alicia Spaulding-Paolozzi, who helped found Charleston’s Spoleto Festival.
- Our Lady of Mercy receives regular financial support from churches of four different denominations.
- People applying for emergency assistance at the Outreach are checked through a networked computerized system known as “Charity Tracker” in order to prevent abuse/overuse of charitable resources through more than one organization.
- The Coastal Community Foundation can assist donors who want to establish funds to benefit one particular organization—such as Our Lady of Mercy!
- Roper St. Francis Healthcare has committed to a major partnership in support of Our Lady of Mercy’s women’s health and prenatal care program.
- All patients who receive free dental services at our Wellness Center dental clinic are given a statement indicating the market value of the services they have received. All are invited to make a personal contribution if they desire to do so.
- Our Lady of Mercy emphasizes education in all of its services because our goal is to move people out of poverty, not just deal with poverty’s symptoms.
- All of those receiving emergency financial assistance at Our Lady of Mercy and the Neighborhood House must attend a budgeting class to help them deal with future financial issues. The classes have become so popular that some participants have attended on numerous occasions, and invited friends and family members to join them.